Thursday, August 23, 2007

Harvest 2007

I think we all need a little diversion. The weather has really been different this year in the Sierra Foothills. The humdity seems way down. Even on the hottest of days, we have had very cool nights. This supposedly really helps grapes develop well rounded flavors.

I have a huge crop this year. I'm getting to be a much better farmer. We haven't had as much heat this year, so my harvest will be a little later this year. Right now, the Brix range (sugar content) of my grapes ranges from 15 - 19. I always try to harvest right around 26 Brix.

On average given some consistent sunny days, brix will move roughly 1.5 points a week. This means I could start harvest as soon as 5 weeks from now, or as late as 8 weeks from now.

We'll see. In the interim I'm ordering grapes from growers that probably will be processed before my grapes are ready. I'm making a white wine for the first time this year. Vermentino, and grape native to Sardinia, is my choice. That will probably be ready in about 3 weeks. In addition, I am buying some Syrah, Barbera, and Petite Sirah grapes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home