Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Thoughts on Walmart?

I'm curious about readers views on Walmart. I know there is a movie out that has raised some hackles with Walmart management, and some media sources (Faux news) and selected Politicians.

I will share my views on Walmart and related topics.

First, cheap prices. I think Americans on the whole are Ostriches. We love things that are inexpensive. The lower the price the better. Basically we are cheapskates. We want something for nothing. As long as we put blinders on, about where the goods come from, the jobs that are lost, the competitive disadvantage this puts our country in, the environmental consequences elsewhere in the world, etc, we don't care.

It's only when we can't ignore the consequences, that we become upset. When our job goes away, we someone in the media draws attention to the fact that Nike runs sweat shops in Vietnam, employing children at pennies a day, making shoes for a few bucks, then selling them North of a $100 that we get upset.

We have a failure of leadership in this country in the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

We HAVE to HAVE a strong job base. We HAVE to HAVE a strong middle class. We HAVE to find a way to keep jobs here, and if we have to on selected products, we will have to pay higher prices in order to keep them here. There may be some strategic areas where we need to keep the capability to manufacture or produce goods on our shores. We can't put ourselves in the position where we can be held hostage by a foreign manufacturing power.

Walmart is but one example of this problem. Look into your crystal ball, and, you can see a point where our country will be at risk.

I am not necessarily saying we should be a protectionist nation. However today, we have policies, special interests, business, and politicians who are happy to export jobs to the long term detriment of our nation.

2 Comments:

At 6:32 AM, Blogger mrsleep said...

pb, I'll check it out.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

I used to work for the law firm that defends Wal-Mart against many of the lawsuits it's currrently fighting. The attorney-client privilege bars me from sharing anything I learned, but let's just say that I quit the firm rather than be put on a Wal-Mart case and I will never step foot in one of their stores.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home