Thursday, December 01, 2005

Christmas Rant

RC may be proud of me, but he won't be proud of my language.

If you don't like Americans saying Merry Christmas to each other, then all I have to say to you, is "TOUGH SHIT". You don't like it, then get the hell out of here. Sheeeeeiiiiiiitttttt.

Just because I happen to say Merry Christmas to you does not mean I am denying you your faith or the relative spiritual or ethnic or whatever practices you endorse. I'm a Christian, and I like Christmas. It makes me feel good. It makes me feel good about myself. For one of the few times during the year, I think about human good will, caring about each other, thinking about the sanctity of family, making this time of year special for those that don't enjoy the benefits of life that I do. It doesn't matter if I have worked my ass off for what I have, or if my parents worked their respective asses off, to make a better life for me. This is a time of year, that I like to make everyone possible feel special, loved, wanted, etc.

If you have different beliefs, that's fine, more power too you. I refuse however to compromise values, or my interests, or my spiritual feelings because it just might rain on your parade.

Get over yourself!!! Because if you endorsed what I truly believe about Christmas, you would forget about your selfish motives.

So all all my fellow Americans, and people worldwide. Merry Christmas to you, or Merry whatever tickles your fancy.

11 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I've got to say, other than Bill O'Reilly the Dildo Man, I've never heard of anyone claiming that anyone is offended by Christmas. Personally, I use Merry XMas for family, friends and people I know are christian, and Happy Holidays when in doubt. It's just a fact that some people don't celebrate christmas, and with Happy Holidays you avoid the entire awkward "Oh, I didn't know you were jewish" conversation. Simple, really.

:-), StS

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger mrsleep said...

Stalin, I admit that I do the same thing. All I'm saying is I'm going to live my way, to my values, to my interests. I'll respect others and their space so to speak, but any attempts to make me change just because someone else feels slighted, ain't going to fly.

Here's something that I think Stinks though. My wife and I were talking about this last night. She is a Therapist with a local school district, working with pre-kindergarten children, who have learning disabilities. Her boss hosted a meeting this week to talk about Christmas. People were told that they could celebrate the Holidays, but any specific reference to Christmas is forbidden. They were told they can't say Merry Xmas to each other. My wife asked "what about wearing a sweater or T-shirt that said Merry Christmas on it?". She was told that was unacceptable.

Someone just threw the baby out with the bath water. The inmates are running the asylum.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

My family is Muslim and everyone says Merry X-mas. None of us understands why this is an issue. We celebrated secular X-mas rowing up. And, it's not a holiday tree, it's a X-mas tree.

I send Happy Holidays cards but that's because I think it's wierd that a non-Christian would send X-mas cards; and because many of my friends are not Christian. But why should I be offended if someone says Merry X-mas to me. It's better than the usual rude shit that comes out of peoples' mouths.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger mrsleep said...

ii, I won't say Merry Christmas to you this time around. Hopefully the closeness of family, and the general spirit of good will among men and women during this time of year will bring comfort to you and your family. Just as an FYI to you, my father passed away over 20 years ago, and it was two weeks before Christmas. We were somber for sure, but the joy, the excitement, and the pure innocence of our children helped drag us out of our doldrums, and help us realize life does move on.

By best to you.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

My husband LOVES Christmas. Last year, we didn't have much of the holiday because I was moving in and there was so much crap in the house, we couldn't make room for a tree. I felt so bad last night when he asked when I was coming home so we could pick out a tree and decorate it together. I don't really care about missing my b-day in a few weeks, but I feel bad that my husband won't get a real X-mas for the 2nd year in a row. I am in no mood for celebrations.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger mrsleep said...

II,

Understood.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

Update:

I came home 2 nights ago to buy a X-mas tree and I came home tonite so we can decorate it together. The realization hit me that I need to give myself room to be human and sharing X-mas with my husband will be a good start. :-)

Thanks for all the great advice and words of sympathy. You are a great guy!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger mrsleep said...

ii' Take your time. Decorating the tree will be good therapy for you.

RC. You'd make a good Baseball Umpire, you call em as you see em, no grey areas. You wouldn't say that one was just a little outside, you'd say "BALL ONE".

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

RC -

What about Jews who are doing their shopping for Hannukkah? Isn't Hannukkah the reason for the change? I thought you were Mr. Pro Jewish. Where's all that Judeo-Christian mumbo jumbo?

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger mrsleep said...

RC. You'd make a good umpire as well :)

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

They should be free to say it except if they are Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Gotta love people with principles. They love Jews until they have to use a phrase like holidays (plural of holiday) that acnowledges Hanukkah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home