Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Christmas Traditions???

Ok II, I know you aren't a big fan of traditions, but I'm curious to hear what families do, that is unique or special to their own families in terms of how they celebrate christmas, or if you have a specific cultural, or religious based holiday celebration.

I'll give you a few from the Sleep household:

1) My family is of Western European Heritage. One thing we always have at our Christmas Dinner is Rice Pudding, with one toasted almond hidden in the mix. In Scandanavian households it was believed that the family member that ended up with the single toasted almond would have good luck for the ensuing year.
2) We always place a pair of wooden shoes by the fireplace as my Mothers father was born and raised in Sweden, and they didn't place stocking, they put wooden shoes instead. They actually used the wooden shoes, and often were placed by the fireplace to dry out.
3) We always read aloud the book, "The Polar Express". We also read Christmas stories from other countries.
4) Food. Shellfish on Christmas Eve, Prime Rib on Christmas Day.
5) In recent years, we have adopted one family that is not as fortunate as us, providing them a tree, food for dinner, and one gift for each family member.
6) We always watch "It's a Wonderful Life" and play a verbal game of trivia related to the movie. We have gotten many obscure questions that have come up.
7) My wife hates egg nog, so I try to buy Egg Nog as early as the stores have it, and surprise her with an early November "Egg Nog Kiss".

5 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

Things that are fun and create family bonding are great. I won't knock those "traditions". It is traditions that people take as absolutes that annoy me.

For example, I did not change my last name when I got married. My husband and I discussed it very early on. At first, he couldn't understand why I wasn't going along with "tradition", but I explained in excruciating detail why it was something I would never do. Funny, at the beginning of the discussion he said, "but that's tradition" and then caught himself and said "as if that matters to you."

My family used to go to Vegas every year for X-mas. We would exchange gifts, then get in the car and head to Vegas for barrels of fun at Circus Circus (when it was not so ghetto). Great childhood memories. As a young adult, my sis and I would go in search of whatever clubs or restaurants were open (the Israelis in our neighborhood are guaranteed to have a couple clubs going on X-mas). Now, X-mas is my day to sit in front of the tv and watch the Twilight Zone marathon. Let's see what comes of it when I have kids.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger mrsleep said...

II, you have plenty of time to create fun, and creative family bonding "traditions". Actually the first few years of marriage are the best. You focus on the moment, and can share the spirit of Christmas, the Spirit of Goodwill among Men and Women. When you have a family you spend an awful lot of time and money trying to make things extra special for your children.

This reminds me of a story that re-emerged in the news recently. World War 1. On Christmas Eve, on a particular battle line, German soldiers started singing Christmas Carols on Christmas Eve, and extended an Olive Branch so to speak to the English soldiers on the opposing lines. They ended up celebrating Christmas together. Sharing their food, singing, exchanging gifts and momento's. So here we have supposed mortal enemies, deciding that there is something more important in life than killing each other. Their Generals were appalled of course. Some one has to win or lose.

There is a lesson in there somewhere, and I probably don't like the answer.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger mrsleep said...

The War to end all War's obviously wasn't.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger mrsleep said...

I didn't intend to take this thread in this direction. It is a time for hope, and good will. Maybe the one time of the year, I look to the future with hope, patience, and belief in the kindness and common sense of mankind.

We can explore the WWI topic at a later date.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

No worries. I enjoyed the story. It is an excellent illustration of what is possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home