Monday, November 10, 2008

2008 Harvest & Wine news

Enough of Politics for awhile. The Tsu-Bama-Nami happened. The Obama voters still have smiles on their faces, and we are enjoying the Post election "glow". The McCain voters are experiencing a range of emotions. I'm choosing to give them some space, but hope that they recognize Obama will be their President. I have had a couple of odd post election conversations though. I was talking to my next door neighbor yesterday, and he made an odd comment. He said, "are you still celebrating your victory". I stated that, yes I was happy but, that Obama is his president too. I received no reply.

2008 is proving to be a much different year than prior years. Light rainfalllin the Spring, a late frost, and an odd growing season, has lead to a very low yield. Comparing year over year, my own estate harvest yielded about half the grapes in weight and yield than last year.

Production and yield across Northern California is showing yields down about 25 - 30% year over year.

I have augmented the lack of my own vineyard by purchasing more grapes. I bought 1000 lbs of Tempranillo from a grower in Placerville, 600 lbs of Vermentino from a grower in Plymouth, 1150 lbs of Syrah from a grower in Plymouth, 1000 lbs of Malbec from a grower in Sheldon, and 1000 lbs of Petite Sirah from a grower in Lodi.

The grape quality this year is proving to be quite good. All the 2008 harvest has finished fermentation, and all has been pressed. These young wines are are currently settling (waiting for the solids to settle out), and some have finished this process, and been moved to Oak barrels.

I have tons of bottling to do. The 2007 wines were very nice. The 2006 Petite Sirah was double gold medals at two different competitions.

The winemaking has been a good release from the distractions from the electoral mud slinging.
It is good therapy for me. This time of year, I have a constant buzz. Since I'm doing something with the wine every day, I also happen to sample every day. As such, I have perpetual purple fingers, a purple tongue, and close to a constant hangover. I'm not complaining.

In Vino Veritas "in wine there is truth". Drinking wine with my conservative friends and neighbors reaches across the divide. Maybe I'll send Obama a case or two to share with the Republican leadership in the Senate and House.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home