Saturday, October 08, 2005

A series of questions

First of all I want to say that we are all Americans, and that we have to say we have to work together to solve our Nations ills, as well as we have to work together to build upon the strengths of this Nation.

That said, I have some comments to make. I have some dialogue to pursue about the differences between "conservative thinkers", and "liberal thinkers". You will note I have chosen not to label by Political affilation. Ok. I think "conservative thinkers" view the world primarily in black or white terms. What I mean by this is that they view issues in absolutes. It is either one way or the other. On the flip side, I believe "liberal thinkers" may view some things in absolute terms but on the whole they view the world in "grey" terms. This means that there are few pre-determined answers to questions or issues, and that the facts must be evaluated to make a decision. Conservatives take great joy in poking fun at this.

It reminds me of a joke. Here is the background:

Both a conservative, and a liberal are faced with an identical situation.

An armed man, with a crazed expresssion is approaching your family, and verbally threatening to kill you, what do you do?

First the Liberal from the Conservative point of view: "Oh this poor man, maybe he was abused as a child, or came from poor upbringings, maybe society is at fault, we have to help him". Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam, the entire liberal family is killed on the spot.

Second the Conservative from the Liberal point of view: "Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam".
Hey Dad he's still moving! "Gotta reload son", "Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam". "Nice grouping Dad!" Thanks Son. Wait a minute, I have to make sure my family is safe, Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam".

Obviously extreme perspectives right? You would think so, but this is the stereotype constantly perpetuated by the Pug's, and Crat's.

I see no attempt in the slighest to close this gap. Here is my first potshot, and I have a lot of them for our President. "I am a uniter not a divider". "Compassionate Conservatism". "You are either with me or against me".

Here is what gets me, Conservative thinkers will go way out of their way to defend this Adminstration, no matter what they do, no matter how outlandish it is, no matter how dishonest it is, no matter how the story, and spin continues to change, they defend it almost to the death.

On the flip side, Liberal thinkers will say, "you know that was really stupid". Neo-Con's love to pull the Clinton card (hey guys, get OVER IT, he was a HORNY BASTARD. Aaron if you check in that may offend you, but this is my website, and sometimes this vernacular is necessary). I view myself as a moderate, but whenever Bill, or Al, or Hillary, or John, or any other Crat does something bonehead, I am the first to say, "you know that was bonehead".

The Pug's line up behind everything the Prez does, and it is considered great, visionary, or leadership at it's best. If you really press them, then they pull the Clinton card. If they pull the Clinton card, then you know you've backed them into a corner, but they still NEVER admit that what the Prez or his Cabinent did was bonehead.

I'll try to do a series of posts over the next few days. They may involve Cronyism, Intolerance, Gays, Social Security, Swift Boat Veterans, Delay, Frist, Halliburton, Cheney, Rove, Iraq, Osama, there is way too much to talk about.

4 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger chad said...

I appreciate your message. I guess I would label myself a political moderate, but that's not really accurate philosophically, because I'm extraordinarily liberal in some respects, and mercilessly conservative in others. Although my approach to various issues runs the gamut, when it comes to politics, a try to be bipartisan, and really look at the issues. Individuals who rise above the partisan labels, don't seem to have very successful political careers, but those people are the ones we should be listening to, because they have decided to let logic and ethics shape their political views instead of playing the political game. Once you become overtly affiliated with one political party, it’s like your judgment becomes clouded to point of blindness. Conservatives can see no wrong in this current administration (which is clearly not even close to perfect), but liberals can see no right in this administration. Why don’t you here liberals commenting on the leading role George W. Bush took at the G8 summit on African debt forgiveness and monetary aid. This goes completely under their radar. Likewise, this Iraqi war has become a monstrosity on so many levels and between the profiteering of Halliburton and the US government in international arms sales, you’d think some conservatives would step back and be a little more critical of the current administration. Anyway, I look forward to your future posts on topics related to this…

A fellow laborer in solving our nation’s ills,
chad

“Whenever a fellow tells me he's bipartisan, I know he's going to vote against me.”
~Harry S Truman

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger mrsleep said...

chad, thanks for checking in. I spend most of my time on other blogs, and have neglected this one.

Partinsonship. A good point. It is quite true that I too have become tired with the actions of the Crat's, and the Pug's as they play Political games and attack each other and undermine each other. All the while the needs of the Country await. Honestly I am unhappy with our President, but I acknowledge the things he has done well, and I am quite happy with Chief Justice Roberts as an example.

So, here we have two people at least, that are asking the question "what is right for the country". That is a start.

You can expect that I will pose lot's of questions. My slant will be questions toward the Conservative thinkers to try to help them see the need for a middle ground.

This is a Marathon not a sprint.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

10 14 05

Hey I am a Centrist; pretty much what Chad said! I am usually pro life with exceptions though, and do not support the wars we are involved in. I don't like some of the choices GWB has made since taking office and although Clinton got a well---job, frankly I could care less. Were I in Ms. Lewinsky's shoes, given the opportunity who knows what Idda done eh? They focused WAYYYYY to much on that to the exclusion of his administration balancing the budget and leaving us with a surplus. So long as the money is flowing well, what have we to complain about? Oh, I guess when the economy is doing well, we simply like to come up with stuff to relieve our boredom eh? LOL:)

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger mrsleep said...

msr, glad you weighed in. I think we have a heck of a lot of centrists, but there is too much pressure to cast us in narrow views.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home